Search This Blog

Pages

Monday, January 10, 2011

Block Town: 3D modelling take 1

The initial start for this work was in looking that the drawings by Piranesi and the being overwhelmed by the overall epic of it all. I decided it wanted to try to model some of this epic structures and gathered about 10 or 12 works of his.

I settled on what I wanted to do and had at it, choosing an image of what I would guess to be a temple surrounded by smaller buildings. I decided this image offered the right balance of difficulty (since it was not covered on every surface by tiny statues) and what I would call the epic factor.

I recreated the structure as best I could to match the original shot angle. I had planned on modeling some of the other structures after this but decided to continue working with this one. Although I was able to match the original sketch in terms of shape and scale I feared some of the epic feeling was lost in the translation from line shaded drawing to blank gray forms. I decided to try to regain some of the epic feel by playing with the angles of the shot instead.





Visual Research:
The works of Giovanni Battista Piranesi, and his study antique architecture.











No comments:

Post a Comment